Monday, March 9, 2015

The trip to the store

I try to not go stir crazy, but the gorgeous weather is making it more and more difficult. Any opportunity I have to get out of the house, I take. Grocery store? Take me with! Library? Sure! Running errands with my mom means sitting in the car for most of the time, but it gets me out of the house. People may think I have all this free time, but when I am stuck at home, forced to run my life and freedom around everyone else's schedule, it doesn't mean much. There is only so much cleaning I can do, especially when I get random dizzy spells in the middle of it. Just cleaning the bathtub takes all day. Looking for workouts I can do sitting down to combat some of this rapid weight gain.


John has been a saint through all this. We even try to enjoy our weekly grocery shopping trip. This last weekend trip was rather embarrassing for me. See, when we do our big weekly shop, it is too much for me to be able to focus on shopping and not feel lightheaded, so I have resigned myself to using one of the electric shopping carts. It is bad enough to have to use one, so I was happy to find one that didn't have the annoying back up horn. You know the one. The beeping noise that might as well say "Watch out! Wide load coming through!!!" So I thought, "Yeah, no additional embarrassment today, we can do this!". As we were going though the store, stopping to get yogurt, some older lady (and I use that term loosely) decided to judge me. Not only in her head, but to share with her world a picture of me in the cart. She didn't know how to take pictures quietly. I saw the camera pointed towards me, held "that" way. I even heard the click. After that, I just wanted to finish up and get out of the store. It didn't make me mad, it made me irritated. Who was she to judge my abilities? Just because I didn't have a cast on, or some other obvious issue, doesn't mean I didn't need to use it. 


I try not to give it too much headspace though. They are there for those who need them. I needed it. End of story. Some stranger in a store doesn't get to decide what is best for me.    


Donate to Megan's Medical Fund

No comments:

Post a Comment